Wednesday, February 1, 2012

An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

So, I have been absolutely dying to share this with you. The Lord has been stirring up something very profound in my heart, or I should say He is completely turning my world upside down! I have become obsessed with a new book He lead me to by Jen Hatmaker. I started it a few days ago, and have not been able to put it down. I mean, if it wasn't for that pesky thing I have to do called work, I'd be done it already!

I'm sharing it here with you because the Lord is readying me for a revolution of sorts. I'm wondering how many of you will join me...it starts with being fed up with having so much (we really do, ya know) and doing so little with it. It has to do with giving up the very things that are ordinary "essentials" to us, in a country where "more is better", in an exchange for "more" of Jesus. Have you ever stopped to think that while you're tossing away food that no one in your house felt like eating, thousands in the world are dying from hunger? And it's more than just making you feel guilty for having food, clothes, computers, cell phones, cable or a kindle. It's about sacrificing or "fasting" from comfortable things in exchange for making room for a Saviour who wants to speak to you.

I have a feeling this is the beginning of a journey that will change my life...I hope you'll join me, either by "joining me" or praying me through it...even better, praying for those who don't have enough to eat tonight.

Click on the link below to read Jen's introduction to the book, she explains it much better than I do. Looking forward to what the Lord has in store for us!
An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

2 comments:

  1. I added this book to my "books to read" list just last week : ) I found her blog/book through another family's Ethiopia adoption blog. Looking forward to reading it! ps... SO happy to see you "online" again : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished Chapter two! Um...should I be worried that I might be a little bit more freaked out by 7 articles of clothing than 7 things to eat???? hahaha!!!! I am so ready to be re-written (in the words of Pastor Arte)....

    ReplyDelete